Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Accentuate the positive .... 2013 in review




Accentuate the Positive 2013 Geneameme.

In 2012, Jill, aka Geniaus pointed out that many of us set goals for our genealogy output for the upcoming year. By the end of that year, we feel that we have not achieved what we set out to do. Whereas in reality we have often achieved more than we think. So this Geneameme is meant to make us look back over the past year and take stock of just how much we have accomplished. She has set the challenge once more looking over the year just passed, 2013

So...
Thanks Geniaus, I will attempt to answer some of your questions
and...
Remember to accentuate the positive.


1.  An elusive ancestor I found was:
The origins of my Dillon Family in Ennis, Co. Clare, Ireland

2.  A precious family photo I found was of:
My Great Aunt, Eliza “Pearl” Smith, as a young woman, artfully seated on rocks beside a river



3.  An important vital record I found was:
The workhouse records of my convict ancestor Olive King of Brighton, Sussex, UK from the East Sussex Record Office. I had found some information on her from just doing a Google search and became intrigued. This information came from "The Workhouses an Institution : Brighton (Brighthelmstone), Sussex"
"In April, 1839, Sophia Clifton aged 17, and Olive King aged 16 charged in the local courts with the theft of a Brighton Workhouse uniform (the clothing they were wearing after absconding), and, the attempted theft of alternative clothing valued at 7/-. Having been found guilty on both counts, the two were transported to Australia for 14 years for this "wicked" crime. At this time, it is said that young females who were deemed to be "less sullied" by the male workhouse inmates, to be sent to the colonies for long periods in the hope that they would remain and become brides for convict labour who had completed their sentences"

4.  A newly found family member who shared:  
Both my mother’s cousin from Queensland, Pam, and my father’s cousin’s daughter from Glen Innes were very generous with their time, information and were just plain fun to talk to and get to know

5.  A geneasurprise I received was:
Being interviewed by Gini Webb  to be featured in Thomas MacEntee's GeneaBlogger site, entitled “May I Introduce you to…. Linda Ottery”

6.   My 2013 blog post that I was particularly proud of was:
Lost in time. After such a long break from blogging (Over 12 months), I was quite hesitant; it took a great leap of faith to just write something and try and get back into the swing of things - it worked; the network of Geneabloggers was still there and very supportive - Thank you all!

7.   My 2013 blog post that received a large number of hits or comments was:

As I only composed 4 posts this year, I am not sure how to judge this. Some had lots of hits, while others had more comments and "+1" on Google +. I think that is for my readers to decide.

8.  A new piece of software I mastered was: 
Evernote and Google Hangouts on Air

9. A social media tool I enjoyed using for genealogy was:
Facebook; previously I had only used it for sharing stuff with friends and Family

10. A genealogy webinar on YouTube from which I learnt something new was:
From regularly watching  DearMYRTLE'S Monday’s with Myrt regularly each Tuesday morning

11. A great repository/archive I visited was:
One of my very own treasures which is comprised of two albums full of postcards collected by my Grandmother since she was a child. The first album was presented to her in 1908. From that time on, all family postcards which had such simple messages as “See you Saturday for lunch” to extensive messages home from her wounded uncle recovering in an English hospital during WWI, were passed onto Nana and is now a mighty treasure trove and insight into my Morgan family. I have scanned one of the cards  [n.d.] iespecially for Jill, as most of us are aware, her family has a close connection to Cobar in NSW, so I thought she may enjoy this little treasure.

The "Beauties" of Cobar cannot be exaggerated
To busy to write
12. A new genealogy / history book I enjoyed was:
A history of the Holder Family of Inverell (NSW), written, compiled and published, by a distant cousin. As I had contributed information and helped in some corrections over the 18 months from it's inception to publication this December, I received a thank you in the acknowledgments. And if I do say so myself, it is one of the better quality  self published family histories that I have seen

13. Another positive I would like to share is:
Though it has been a difficult year, and the amount of time spent on Family history severely curtailed, by completing this meme, it shows that though I felt the year was unproductive, in reality that is far from the truth – so thanks Jill for making me see the positive!




1 comment:

  1. Thankyou Linda for the Cobar postcard -what a lovely surprise.

    Congratulations on a successful geneayear, you must be proud of what you have achieved considering the challenges you have to deal with on a daily basis

    I enjoyed having you participate in the GeniAUS Hangout on Air, hope you will join in again.

    ReplyDelete